Friday, March 11, 2011

Food research

Currently in the progress of research about the psychology of food and more particularly how food is related to memory and we develop a preference for foods. Of course, there are social and cultural factors that influence these. What I am interested in is our personal aversions to food and why we choose not to eat them, probably stemming from some traumatic childhood experience.

I'm pretty open about food, and will give most things a go once. However, I refuse to eat banana because I hate the mushy texture and think it's like having vomit in your mouth.

The aim of my project is to create a body of photographs that capture people's distaste for a certain type of food. I love food culture, but food photography is largely (to me) the same and I think it could definitely be pushed into new territory.

I particularly like the work of Mitchell Feinberg at the moment, which takes food beyond communicating taste with seductive photographs.






This has been a very long post but if you are reading this, feel free to comment. It will help me clear my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment